Escondido Public Library’s 2017 Summer Reading Challenge: Design Your World offers reading fun and special events for all ages from June 19 – July 31, 2017. Participants log reading and event attendance online at library.escondido.org/summer enabling anyone to take part in the program from home, on a mobile device, or by using computers at the Library. Summer readers have the opportunity to earn prizes donated by dozens of local businesses. The following free Summer Reading Challenge programs will be offered for Adults (ages 18+):
• June 24 at 10:30 a.m.– Design Your World: Floral Arranging Demonstration. Learn floral arranging techniques from a San Diego Floral Association professional designer. Finished arrangements used for the demonstration will be raffled off. Register at library.escondido.org/register.
• July 11 at 6 p.m.– 2nd Tuesday Book Club- “Outliers: The Story of Success.” Author Malcolm Gladwell explores the world of “outliers” who manage to design their own destiny through persistence, timing, opportunity, and luck.
• July 18 at 6 p.m.– Designing Escondido: The Past, Present and Future of Our City. How did Escondido evolve into the city it is today, and what does the future look like? Using resources and photographs from the Pioneer Room, archival staff will explain the evolution of the city. City of Escondido’s Planning department staff will discuss the present day and future Escondido.
• July 29 at 3:30 p.m.– Rincón Literario: Bilingual Book Club – “All the Light We Cannot See.” Author Anthony Doerr elegantly weaves a beautiful tale of survival and morality in war-torn Europe into this Pulitzer Prize-winning novel.
• The 2017 Summer Reading Challenge is sponsored by Friends of the Escondido Public Library. Library programs, events, and services are free and open to the public. Escondido Public Library is located at 239 South Kalmia Street in Escondido, California.
For more information about the 2017 Summer Reading Challenge and scheduled performers, visit library.escondido.org/summer or call 760-839-4839.