Saturday November 19, at about 4:30 p.m., Escondido Fire Department units were dispatched to a possible structure fire at 529 El Rancho Lane in east Escondido.
The first arriving engine reported heavy smoke and fire coming from the garage area. Escondido Firefighters were able to knock the fire down in about 20 minutes. There was some extension of the fire into the attic which required the truck company to cut ventilation holes in the roof.
There was significant damage to the structure in the garage area with moderate damage, mostly due to smoke in the remaining part of the structure. Residents were not home at the time and no persons were injured, although, the owners’ cat was found deceased inside the structure. Four residents were displaced due to the fire and the Red Cross was assisting with their needs.
Escondido Fire investigators determined the origin was inside the garage and was possibly related to an open flame or cigarette left inside the garage. The Escondido Fire Department reminds people to check and change batteries in smoke detectors at least once a year.