The Escondido Police Department Tuesday night released the following update for the May 5 multiple pedestrian fatality case.
On May 5, 2020, Escondido Police and Fire responded to a vehicle versus pedestrian collision on San Pasqual Valley Road at Oak Hill Drive.
Tragically, four pedestrians were struck and killed in the collision. The investigation has been active and ongoing since the date of the collision. The Traffic Division has invested hundreds of work hours into the investigation. The following is an update on where we are in the process:
- A witness canvass in the surrounding areas and attempts to locate any surveillance video that may have captured the collision has been conducted.
- Search Warrants have been executed on the vehicle and driver’s phone to determine what factors, if any, may have contributed to the collision.
- A thorough inspection of the vehicle has been performed to determine if speed or mechanical issues were a factor in the collision.
- Examination of physical evidence located at the scene has been analyzed to determine motion of the vehicle, path of travel, and the location of the actual collision with the pedestrians.
- Other evidence has been submitted for analysis, which results are still pending.
As mentioned before, this investigation is ongoing and anyone with information is encouraged to contact Officer Mike Nelson at (760) 839-4407.