Despite the lockdown on many activities due to the pandemic, new construction is considered an essential activity, so construction has continued unabated on the corner of Juniper and Grand has continued without interruption and is on schedule to open late summer 2020.
If you drive by the iconic “Ritz” theater, it’s easy to see that most of the building’s infrastructure is now complete, and it is easier to get a sense of what the finished building will look like.
The Grand Project is an enterprise by New Vintage Church, which will meet in the new facility, but will also make it available to be rented as a theater by other groups.
The renovation of the Ritz, which was built in 1937, was announced April 2019 at the Heritage Garden gazebo across the street from the building. In addition to the theater, there will be a gourmet coffee house/café on the corner, church and theater offices, and arts-based businesses.
Here are some of the specific features currently in progress:
- Poured first floor concrete
- Framing on side exterior and interior walls
- Hanging and taping drywall in Theater
- Installed alley roll up door at stage
- Hanging drywall, taping and texturing in Theater
- Start painting Theater
- Continue with alley underground power and gas
- Storefront glazing
- Ceramic tile started in the bathrooms
- Alley underground for SDGE gas service
- Sprinkler system going in
- Mechanical ductwork being installed on roof