“Then he took his staff in his hand; and he chose for himself five smooth stones from the brook, and put them in a shepherd’s bag, in a pouch which he had, and his sling was in his hand. And he drew near to the Philistine (1 Samuel 17:40, NKJV).
People everywhere are facing giants these days. They may not be ten feet tall or standing on a battlefield; but they are no less real, intimidating, and threatening. As such, I want to offer some tools for your tool bag; or, more appropriately, five smooth stones for your consideration, as you face your giants.
1) TIME WITH GOD: I believe this was David’s secret weapon. When David was in the sheep fields, he was worshiping and spending time with the Lord. If you find yourself in a wilderness period, don’t waste it. It may well be that God is giving you the opportunity to draw near to Him; to learn of Him and to be clothed with His presence. If you will come to God and are determined not to leave until He touches you, your life will be changed day-by-day.
What does it look like to spend time with God? The first step is to simply begin. Call upon Him. Lift your hands. Tell Him you simply want to be with Him; to spend time in His presence. Sing to Him songs of praise. Pray in the Spirit. Read His Word and then sit and listen for His voice. He will speak to you. He’ll give you instruction, direction, wisdom and revelation for all you may face.
2) TRUST GOD’S NATURE & CHARACTER: You only learn this by spending time with Him, as you would with anyone. It was because God had empowered David to slay the lion and the bear with his bare hands, that he knew God would give the Philistine giant into his hand, regardless of his size.
3) THE ENEMY HAS BEEN DEFEATED: You need only to enforce it. There is power in the name of Jesus! Never forget. Satan was defeated at the Cross. Because of this, at the name of Jesus, all of Heaven stands at attention, all of hell shakes and trembles and all of creation bows before Him. “When the enemy comes in like a flood, The Spirit of the Lord will lift up a standard against him” (Isaiah 59:19, NKJV). By faith in what Jesus has done for you, you are now able to overcome every obstacle.
4) RUN TO THE BATTLE: David wasn’t hiding in fear; like Saul and his army. David ran to meet the Philistine. David knew he had a covenant with God. You do too. Trust in it. Stand on it through thick and thin, and run to face your giant and take him down!
5) DECLARE IN FAITH WHAT YOU EXPECT: David told Goliath, “This day the Lord will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you.” (1 Samuel 17:46, NKJV). When you face your giants, do so with the knowledge that God is for you; therefore, who can be against you?
Rob Granger and his wife, Becky, serve as Executive Pastors of Grace Church San Marcos under Senior Pastors Brian and Melissa Bauer. Located at 855 E. Barham Drive, San Marcos, Grace San Marcos meets at 10 a.m. Sundays and 6:30 p.m. Wednesdays with meetings for youth, children and other groups scheduled throughout the week. Visit www.gracesanmarcos.net for further information.
The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of The Times-Advocate.